We've teamed up with the amazing Magnolia Kitchen on an amazing giveaway! You could win a fudge selection box, marshmallows, and their amazing cookbook (featured in pics below). All you have to do is click on this link and follow the instructions on our insta post to enter.
Choc cake recipe
In an attempt to do my bit for the climate - being plant-based is my jam. To mums despair, that means no more classic Donna Hay recipes from the early 2000s (mum's a sucker for her no-fuss recipes).
Vegan-friendly baking sure has it's ups and downs (if you know, you know) because it means taking out 3x key ingredients (eggs, butter and milk), which basically all cakes have in them. Some plant-based baking recipes mum and I tried have tried tasted awesome (and you wouldn't know they're made differently to 'regular' baking). Others taste like cardboard (sad but true), so I'm on a mission to avoid the latter. This recipe is based off Niomi Smarts cookbook 'Eat Smart', but mum and I have renamed it 'you-wouldn't-know-it's-vegan-chocolate-cake' because we're certain this is one of the best vegan and gluten-free baking recipes we've tried, no kidding (woo hoo)!
For the cake
- 125ml coconut oil, plus extra for greasing
- 100g rolled oats
- 400g brown rice flour
- 150g coconut sugar
- 80g raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 300g apple sauce/puree
- 500ml almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- A pinch of sea salt
For the chocolate ganache
- 100g dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids
- 155g unsalted raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 185ml almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Grease 2 x 20cm sandwich cake tins with coconut oil.
- Melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan over a low heat.
- Grind the oats to a flour in a food processor, tip into a large bowl and mix in the rice flour, coconut sugar, cacao powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. In a separate bowl, mix together the melted coconut oil with the apple sauce, almond milk and vinegar.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and fold in the wet mixture until fully combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the cake tins and bake for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Carefully tip out onto a wire rack and allow to cool.
- To make the chocolate ganache, break up the dark chocolate and place in a heatproof bowl. Set this above a saucepan of water simmering over a low heat to melt.
- Drain the cashews and blend with the almond milk until smooth, then tip into a bowl.
- Stir the melted chocolate into the cashew and almond milk and place in the fridge to firm up for 20 minutes.
- Spread a third of the ganache onto one of the cooled cakes. Place the other cake on top and smooth the remaining ganache over the top and sides with a palette knife.
- Decorate with berries.