A Table for Friends celebrates the joy of eating with friends and family, with over 100 simple and wonderfully inviting recipes that allow you to relax with your loved ones whilst the cooking takes care of itself. Drawing on years of cooking for more people than it ever seemed possible to squeeze into her kitchen, Skye shares the secrets to her stylish and relaxed way of hosting, setting you up for success whether you're cooking for two or twenty.
- 2 lemons
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 220ml single cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 350g spaghetti
- A small bunch of thyme Fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Meanwhile, finely zest both the lemons and toss the zest into a deep frying pan, then add the olive oil and set it over a medium heat. Gently fry the zest for a few minutes until it begins to take on a deep, vibrant yellow colour.
- Now pour in the cream and the egg yolk, mix well with a wooden spoon, then reduce the heat and leave to gently cook for 5–10 minutes, giving it a stir every now and then.
- Add a generous pinch of salt to the boiling water, and, when it begins to gallop, add the spaghetti and cook until al dente according to the packet instructions. Finely slice one-third of a lemon.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain in a colander, reserving a little of the cooking water (roughly 1⁄4 cup). Squeeze the juice of the remaining lemons into the sauce, add salt and pepper to taste, then toss the pasta into the frying pan. Add the reserved cooking water, throw in the lemon slices and toss everything together so the pasta is well covered with sauce.Tear up the thyme sprigs, sprinkle generously over and serve immediately.
A recipe from A Table For Friends by Skye McAlpine. Buy a copy here